User Avatar Image

Different Voice Actor for Max in PN2?

posted by Tora Newton Y. on - last edited - Viewed by 4K users
As I was playing Poker Night 2 tonight, I noticed Max sounded a little different. Of course I thought he still sounded like Max (from the rest of the Telltale Sam & Max games), so I just figured it was something like William Kasten hadn't done the voice for a while.

But when I checked the credits I noticed that Max isn't voiced by William Kasten (his regular voice actor for the Telltale games) in PN2. He's voiced by someone named Dave Boat.

While it's admittedly rather impressive that I didn't realize it was a different voice actor until I checked (props to Mr. Boat there) it makes me wonder why Max is voiced by someone else, while Sam is still voiced by David Nowlin.

So why isn't Mr. Kasten voicing Max in PN2?
43 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • AHA! I figured this out ages ago.

Dave Boat IS William Kasten. He's in loads of things and I could always hear Max, Jurgen etc in his voice. I guess it's just some kind of stage name he always used for Max but has dropped it here.
  • Teeth;791887 said:
    AHA! I figured this out ages ago.

Dave Boat IS William Kasten. He's in loads of things and I could always hear Max, Jurgen etc in his voice. I guess it's just some kind of stage name he always used for Max but has dropped it here.
    You could be right.
    Check his "animation reel" on his website:
    http://www.daveboat.com/index1.html
    That's our Max, no doubt about it.
    Also, there's always been a strange thing about Kasten: he doesn't seem to exist before his work on Telltale's Sam & Max Seasons. Check it out:
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4016867/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1
    Funny thing n°2: we've never seen Kasten doing voice over, but we've seen plenty of David Nowlin for Sam (videos, facebook albums of Bay Area Sound...).
  • Also, whichever game Boat is in, Kasten isn't.

And whichever game Kasten is in, Boat isn't.

Does this mean...?
  • Well, it is true that we have never seen Boat and Kasten in the same room...
  • Dedlok;791957 said:
    Well, it is true that we have never seen Boat and Kasten in the same room...
    Or at all.
  • Huh. I downloaded the PSN trial and the first words out of Max's mouth made me go 'damn, they changed the voice actor'.

Are there lines where he sounds closer?
  • I think he's genuinely spot on until he has to stretch out his vowels, then there's a really notable difference.

There's been some thought that it's actually the same guy under an alias, but it's been a few years and I wouldn't be surprised if he's forgotten what exact pitch he uses when he voices Max.

Sam's voice is still spot on despite the length between performances though, kind of makes me wonder if that's his normal speaking voice.
  • IMDB credits Dave Boat as a voice actor in "CSI: Deadly Intent", which wikipedia credits as one of the games Telltale put together.
  • This is conflicting.

If I wrongly assume they are different people, I'll look like an idiot by noting their similarities.

If I wrongly assume they are the same person, I'll look like an idiot by noting their differences.

Could you trouble us an official comment, Telltale?
  • I'm having beliefs that Kasten and Dave Boat are the same people. I'm looking at Kasten's imdb page, and all he's credited for is his voice acting for Sam & Max. Isn't it a little bit odd that a talented guy like him didn't get hired for anything else?
Add Comment