User Avatar Image

The Kickstarter/Crowdfunding thread

posted by Darth Marsden on - last edited by Jennifer - Viewed by 35.1K users
Since there's probably going to be a fair few Kickstarter projects that aren't done by Tim Schafer, I thought it might be nice to start a separate thread for all the little games on Kickstarter that don't get as much exposure.

For example: Feeble's Fable: The Legend of Runes by Atomic Chimp Games. Another point-and-click adventure game, but this one is going for more of a cute and charming feel. It definitely looks interesting, though they've nowhere near the backing they need. :(

And another: Americana Dawn by one guy, Max K. Lambert. It's a freeware retro-styled RPG about the French & Indian War and the American War for Independence. Kickstarter page is a little bare (he doesn't actually say what he needs the money for, for one), but it looks like an awesome game.

So let's see what other Kickstarter projects you think is worth shining a little light on!
1.1K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Wait I DONT know how Silicon Knights went down.
  • RingmasterJ5;785577 said:
    Recently backed Risk of Rain, which I've been following and looks absolutely amazing. Anyone interested by the pitch should try the free demo there, it's already pretty fun.
    With only a few days left on this, they actually got a publishing deal from the guys making the upcoming "space-Terraria" game Starbound. Steam keys are now pretty much guaranteed, and they are working with them on getting online co-op working.
  • DAISHI;793241 said:
    Wait I DONT know how Silicon Knights went down.
    Enjoy.

TL;DR - They constantly restarted projects, were poorly managed, stole code from Epic (resulting in a judge ordering every unsold copy of Too Human be destroyed), diverted time, resources and money from X-Men: Destiny to their other aspect and overall were a terribly managed company that completely imploded. The lawsuit with Epic - which they lost badly - was the final straw.
  • Darth Marsden;793248 said:
    Don't read that. Read This NeoGAF post instead. More exhaustive and overall more pertinent to this particular project.
  • Was debating about posting that, but I felt the Kotaku one was a more interesting read. And more visually appealing :p

Worth pointing out that the really bad stuff happens from post #4 in the NeoGAF thread.
  • There's a ton of context though that you're missing, and a LOT of really, REALLY shady stuff that you're missing. Throwing your money behind this is extremely ill-advised no matter HOW much you want to see this game made. Stay away, this is a dire warning.
  • Good gods.

So I've been peripherally aware of the problems at Silicon Knights, since I've heard nothing but bad from the over the years. But, I don't keep up with gaming news, and I didn't realize it had devolved to the situation (and an apparently rather recent situation with the X-Men game) that it did.

And totally agree. I would NOT give money to this project.

WAIT they started their own web page for funding rather than a third party negotiator? Shaaaaaaaaaaady.
  • Hmm.

Looks interesting, but it's player movement that has me very worried.
  • Yeah, it doesn't look very fluid in that regard.

All I took away from that video was... "I like how it vibrates" lol.
  • I don't care if the movie turns out to be bad. I support practical effects and you should too.
    Remember all the pictures of the cut creatures from The Thing(2011)? Yeah, it's the work of these guys.

I cannot endorse this enough.
Add Comment