User Avatar Image

Disney Buys Lucasfilm (and other stories)

posted by BlankCanvasDJ on - last edited - Viewed by 20.5K users
...and, by extension, LucasArts (since that's what we all really care about, I know).

http://www.benzinga.com/news/12/10/3039512/disney-to-buy-lucasfilm-for-4-05b-in-cash-and-stock

I know, with the likes of Star Wars and Indiana Jones being snatched up, the LA catalogue probably isn't a big priority but I wonder what this could mean for the future of some of our favorite adventure games?

Could a Monkey Island theme park ride be in our future? Hmm.
681 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • There where Gargoyle comics?
  • Rather Dashing;796120 said:
    Disney is doing a new animated series called Star Wars: Rebels. They talk up Ralph McQuarrie as a visual influence and Greg Weisman is on board as executive producer, so I'm tentatively semi-interested.

ABFNUAISPDIAISuD YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
  • coolsome;796187 said:
    There where Gargoyle comics?
    Yes there were, and they were AMAZING.
  • I can tell just from that cover. Also I'm pretty sure due tothe nature of Gargoyles hatchery and society Demona and Brooklyn are siblings (and hinted to have attraction for each other) so it makes snese they are Luke and Leia.
  • Everything about Gargoyles was awesome except ABC.
  • I'm surprised that no one in the Monkey Island Wiki updated the "LucasArts" page yet, so I did this in this link. What do you think?
  • It's great. It's good to know there are still caretakers of these Monkey Island websites in some form.
  • Rather Dashing;796120 said:
    Disney is doing a new animated series called Star Wars: Rebels. They talk up Ralph McQuarrie as a visual influence and Greg Weisman is on board as executive producer, so I'm tentatively semi-interested.
    Expect it to be cancelled after season 2. Seriously, he should consider working for Valve or something.
  • I don't have much to add to this conversation, I just wanted my post #1138 to be in a Star Wars related thread. Uhh... to tie it in... I hope Disney puts their stuff on GOG soon. That's it, I got nothing else.
  • User Avatar Image
    Jennifer Moderator

We likely won't see Star Wars 1313 (I hope EA continues it, but I'm not optimistic. Though, it would be really cool to see what a collaboration between LucasArts, ILM, Skywalker Sound, and Lucasfilm Animation would result in. All the stories I've read about the development reminds me of the early days of Lucasfilm Games when it was part of the Lucasfilm computer division and they shared talent and ideas between themselves, resulting in innovative and technologically advanced (for the time) video games).

But, we will see the result of some of the technology that was developed for the game. :)

Venture Beat has an article that says that the motion capture technology developed for Star Wars 1313 is going to be used in Hollywood films to assist in computer-generated films to cut down on production time. The video demonstration of the technology is really impressive. It should be interesting to see what ILM is able to do with it:

Add Comment