User Avatar Image

The Xbox One

posted by Darth Marsden on - last edited - Viewed by 14.7K users
Little surprised no-one's talking about the XBox One, which was officially announced today.

And has a stupid name.

Really, there's a lot we could say about this console, but I'll just bullet-point the best bits.

- It's called the XBox One. Even though it's actually the third. *sigh*
- The controller is extremely similar to the 360s, with a better D-Pad and higher Home button.
- It comes with an updated Kinect... that the console WILL NOT FUCTION WITHOUT.
- It won't be backwards compatible. With anything. 360 games, XBLA games, nothing. *facepalm*
- Playing a used game? You'll be charged a fee to do so.

In short - fail. The used games thing is perhaps the biggest kick in the teeth, and it's going to ruin this console.

EDIT: Oh, you're all talking about it in the "Whatever's On Your Mind" thread. Well, whatever.
687 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Actually, I had a thought the other day when I heard about this.

What if publishers just prevent pre-owned games from being used for the first two weeks after a game is released? After that, they allow trade-ins as they are now, with no restrictions or hidden costs.

It seems like a good middle ground - people can still trade-in games, but not straight away, allowing (and indeed encouraging) those crucial 'day one' sales where publishers make the majority of their money on games.
  • Darth Marsden;800631 said:
    Actually, I had a thought the other day when I heard about this.

What if publishers just prevent pre-owned games from being used for the first two weeks after a game is released? After that, they allow trade-ins as they are now, with no restrictions or hidden costs.

It seems like a good middle ground - people can still trade-in games, but not straight away, allowing (and indeed encouraging) those crucial 'day one' sales where publishers make the majority of their money on games.
    No. They are afraid people will just wait 2 weeks. Make it half a year and this could work.
  • The source for that article is a random poster in NeoGAF. Don't drink the koolaid on that one.
  • DAISHI;800650 said:
    The source for that article is a random poster in NeoGAF. Don't drink the koolaid on that one.
    GAF is filled with insiders and developers. Jake Rodkin and Gary Whitta go there. And the claim isn't an odd business practice.
  • Secret Fawful;800651 said:
    GAF is filled with insiders and developers. Jake Rodkin and Gary Whitta go there. And the claim isn't an odd business practice.
    Sure. But that guy is registered one day there.
  • User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator
    der_ketzer;800653 said:
    Sure. But that guy is registered one day there.
    Is he? How do you see that if you're not registered?
  • He registered 02-17-2010. You mistook his post time, which is under his username, for his join date.
  • Secret Fawful;800659 said:
    He registered 02-17-2010. You mistook his post time, which is under his username, for his join date.
    Oh yeah. I did.
    That's what I get for being used to normal forums.
  • User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator
    der_ketzer;800662 said:

That's what I get for being used to normal forums.
    Neogaf still is a vbulletin forum. You just wait for Vanilla...
  • I'm not saying he's not full of complete garbage, but the claim isn't a far fetched one, and I think companies have pulled it at E3 before...?
Add Comment