User Avatar Image

The Kickstarter/Crowdfunding thread

posted by Darth Marsden on - last edited by Jennifer - Viewed by 33.2K users
Since there's probably going to be a fair few Kickstarter projects that aren't done by Tim Schafer, I thought it might be nice to start a separate thread for all the little games on Kickstarter that don't get as much exposure.

For example: Feeble's Fable: The Legend of Runes by Atomic Chimp Games. Another point-and-click adventure game, but this one is going for more of a cute and charming feel. It definitely looks interesting, though they've nowhere near the backing they need. :(

And another: Americana Dawn by one guy, Max K. Lambert. It's a freeware retro-styled RPG about the French & Indian War and the American War for Independence. Kickstarter page is a little bare (he doesn't actually say what he needs the money for, for one), but it looks like an awesome game.

So let's see what other Kickstarter projects you think is worth shining a little light on!
1.1K Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • St_Eddie;801436 said:
    Ah yes, I remember you posting about that. I have two words for you... "very" and "jealous".

Did you get 'round to reading it. If so, what was it like? How would it have played out on the big screen?
    Haven't touched it since that picture. I didn't want to damage it. I'm sure it was awesome though.
  • Since I couldn't find an indiegogo thread..

I have heard good things about this one. They want to make a game in RPG Maker VX Ace and it's only 600 dollars they need to meet.
  • Wow, I'm surprised there's no thread on it yet. Bill Tiller has finally started a Kickstarter campaign to release a prequel to the Vampyre Story, which is entitled "Year One": http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/876324751/a-vampyre-story-year-one

There are some pretty interesting rewards out there (like a Mona figurine or a live phone call with Mona, Bill and Froderick), the trailer is also a must-see ;)

• User Avatar Image
    Macfly77 Moderator
    No thread on it but the project is discussed in the Kickstarter thread (The Vampyre Story Kickstarter mentions start on page 36).
  • User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator
    Nelly Cootalot now has a demo!!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/315061806/nelly-cootalot-the-fowl-fleet-retro-pirate-adventu

All right, not really really a demo. Just some hints at the potential. One short scene with a few clicks... but nice. REALLY nice.
  • User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator
    Shadowrun Returns, the game that embarrassed and prostituted its backers by turning out as having been planned a Steam exclusive game right from the beginning, now has a fixed release date of July 25th.

The plan supposedly is that you can download the Steam version on the 24th, but only play it on the 25th while the backer exclusive crippled DRM free version is only available on the 25th.

This, of course, must mean several things.
    [LIST=1]
    [*]The 'early download' opportunity will lure more backers away from downloading and playing their DRM fee copy.
    [*]Knowing full well how reliably Valve honors its 'simultaneous release' agreements, we can assume that Steam players will be able to already play on the 24th ("Oops"), or at least the 25th is calculated as a midnight release in the most convenient time zone.
    [*]Seing how every possible step is taken by Harebrained Schemes to direct their backers to Steam, we can assume that they won't be able to supply even remotely the bandwith necessary to supply all their backers with the DRM free version via their own platform. Expect chaos to ensue.
    [/LIST]

Once again well done, Harebrained Schemes. :mad:
  • Vainamoinen;803469 said:
    [*]Knowing full well how reliably Valve honors its 'simultaneous release' agreements, we can assume that Steam players will be able to already play on the 24th ("Oops"), or at least the 25th is calculated as a midnight release in the most convenient time zone.
    You really don't know anything about Steam, do you?
    More often than not the Steam version releases last. Actually the only time that wasn't the case ever was The Walking Dead, because TTG couldn't get their shit together. And even then it released on Steam on the release day at the normal office times at VALVe.
  • User Avatar Image
    Vainamoinen Moderator
    You must have missed those last three years. I assure you: I did not.
  • Vainamoinen;803482 said:
    You must have missed those last three years. I assure you: I did not.
    Explain. Please do.
Add Comment