User Avatar Image

Steam copy of Poker Night doesn't start up.

posted by Missah_Noob on - last edited - Viewed by 2.9K users
I click play on steam, and it says I'm playing the game for a second but nothing ever appears. Initially, I got the first-time setup, but after I installed the redist package manually that went away. However, the problem persists. The game doesn't even appear to start up.

ASUS G55V running Windows 7.

Thanks.
18 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator
    That's good.

Please check the properties of the Steam.exe, your Steam icons, and the games .exe files, and disable any compatibility mode settings.
    Sometimes compatibility mode is checked, but is grayed out. Then you have to click on "Change settings for all users" at the bottom to disable the checkbox.
    Afterwards try if the game works.
  • I get the same issue when I try the non-steam version as well, if that helps you at all.
  • And compatibility mode is off for all of these, I messed with that earlier.
  • User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator
    I have no clue yet.
    Have you also tried right click / "run as administrator"?
  • I've done that as well.
  • When I try to run the game from the CelebrityPoker application in the Steam common folder, I get an error that tells me:

"C:\Windows\system32\d3dx9_41.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error."
  • User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator
    Missah_Noob;812758 said:
    When I try to run the game from the CelebrityPoker application in the Steam common folder, I get an error that tells me:

"C:\Windows\system32\d3dx9_41.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error."
    That's a promising hint.

Please rename the
    C:\Windows\system32\d3dx9_41.dll

And then run the DirectX updater.
    It should download a new version of the file.
  • Still getting the same error.
  • User Avatar Image
    DjNDB Moderator
    I fear there might be something broken in the Windows installation I can't solve.
  • Ok, if that's the case I'll ask TTG support about it. Thanks for your time.
This discussion has been closed.