Telltale Autumn Sale

Legend of Zelda Megathread - Adoring Fan Edition

11415161719

Comments

  • edited March 2013
    DAISHI wrote: »
    Is this strictly artwork or for a game?

    For now, it's just artwork. I want to start doing a sprite comic with it when I have more of it done. I did three strips a while back, just to kind of test the waters.

    Preview__Untitled_Zelda_Comic_by_GuruGuru214.png Untitled_Zelda_Comic_Page_2_by_GuruGuru214.png Zelda_Comic_Page_3_by_GuruGuru214.png
  • edited March 2013
    Aw... And you've got the maps ready and everything...
  • edited April 2013
    Zelda Reorchestrated, who were behind that fantastic rendition of Twilight Princess's soundtrack as well as many other reorchestrated mixes of Zelda songs, is shutting down. Read about it here: http://zreomusic.com/

    They also list a link to a torrent of Twilight Symphony to let their fans who haven't been able to enjoy it do so.
  • edited April 2013
    Already torrents a while ago but would have bought the hard copy if they'd made more available. Guess they're tired of making Zelda music.
  • edited April 2013
    Oh god, where did my night go?

    6d142781e4714e3dc338bd4303362cdb-d61wzsm.png
  • edited April 2013
    Good day to be a Nintendo fan, but since there's no Nintendo thread (as far as I can tell), here's the Zelda news.

    Uh, new Zelda game inbound. It's on the 3DS, it's got a top-down view and it lets Link turn into paper and stick to walls. Not entirely sure about that last one, but hey ho - NEW ZELDA WOO etc.

    EDIT: Update! It's a full-on sequel to A Link to the Past. Also, the Oracle games are headed to the eShop.
  • edited April 2013
    Uh, new Zelda game inbound. It's on the 3DS, it's got a top-down view and it lets Link turn into paper and stick to walls. Not entirely sure about that last one, but hey ho - NEW ZELDA WOO etc.

    Huh. I don't know how to feel about this one. A Link to the Past is one of my least favorite Zelda games.

    FUCK YEAH! First I get let out of jury duty in half an hour, now this. This day is fucking awesome!
  • edited April 2013
    A Link to the Past is one of my least favorite Zelda games.
    because?
  • edited April 2013
    What's worse than disliking Link to the past is liking the Oracle games
  • edited April 2013
    Chyron8472 wrote: »
    because?

    Honestly, it's a bit hard to say. Maybe it's because I kept the GBA version in my pocket through a good chunk of high school and played it so much I got burned out on it. Maybe it's because I do my sprite work Oracle-style, and the huge number of ALttP-style spriters kind of annoys me. Maybe it's because A Link to the Past laid down the foundations for a lot of elements used in the other top-down games in the series, but didn't quite have them as fully developed in my eyes (though I may be full of shit on this point). But at least part of it is definitely that I don't really like the dungeon layouts all that much.
    DAISHI wrote: »
    What's worse than disliking Link to the past is liking the Oracle games

    The Oracle games were the first Zelda games I played, they're both damn fine games, and Oracle of Ages is a sentimental favorite.
  • edited April 2013
    I never played the Oracle games.

    In fact, the only Zelda game I've ever played on a handheld is Link's Awakening. (I've played Minish Cap, but that was on my GameCube's Gameboy Player).

    I don't need a GameBoy/DS, because the primary time in which I played my old white brick-sized Gameboy was while riding in the car. I'm the driver now, so that would be dangerous.
  • edited April 2013
    The Oracle games are basically Link's Awakening but better in every way.
  • edited April 2013
    I love the Oracle games. And I love this old commercial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyekgNmqXUo

    A big part of me has been hoping for an actual new 2D Zelda game, like Minish Cap but in HD, so it's a bit sad to see even a 2D style game still done in 3D. New one should still be neat though
  • edited April 2013
    The Oracle games are basically Link's Awakening but better in every way.

    But Link's Awakening and the Oracle games are just cheap knocks on Link to the Past!

    And Link's Awakening is still way better than the Oracle games!



    ***

    Public Broadcast Message:
    Everyone enjoys different things. I don't hate the Oracle games GG and was just knocking you earlier ;P
  • edited April 2013
    Good day to be a Nintendo fan, but since there's no Nintendo thread (as far as I can tell), here's the Zelda news.

    Uh, new Zelda game inbound. It's on the 3DS, it's got a top-down view and it lets Link turn into paper and stick to walls. Not entirely sure about that last one, but hey ho - NEW ZELDA WOO etc.

    EDIT: Update! It's a full-on sequel to A Link to the Past. Also, the Oracle games are headed to the eShop.

    Ugh, hate the looks of the complete bird's eye view style of gameplay. But I'm glad it's set in the same timeframe as LttP, though. It's nice to finally have a game from the older timelines rather than the Toon Link or Adult timeline that we've been having.
  • edited April 2013
    I dislike A Link to the Past somewhat for having only one main village or people- Kakariko- that said it has my favorite Link design conceptually, and the Oracle games are coming too?

    WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW

    WHOOOOOOOOOO OH OH OH WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW


    OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHOHWOHOHWOHWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
  • edited April 2013
    I dislike A Link to the Past somewhat for having only one main village or people- Kakariko- that said it has my favorite Link design conceptually, and the Oracle games are coming too?

    To be fair, it was only the third Zelda game ever made; the overworld map is larger than the first game; and, though Zelda II had multiple towns (LOZ had none), there still were only like 6 sprites for all the townspeople in the entire Zelda II game.

    LTTP's map feels just the right size to me for that game. There doesn't need to be an extra town, because the town that is there serves its purpose.


    Although, I probably have a different opinion of it than you because I started playing Nintendo with the original NES, so LTTP was a step forward for me rather than a look back.
  • edited April 2013
    That makes sense, and I was also wrong that there was only one race...I forgot about the Zoras.

    I started playing Zelda with Ocarina of Time, and A Link to the Past was the next game I played any of...on GBA. Majora's Mask is my favorite Zelda game, yet it has only the main hub town...I believe? It has races and territories, though.

    I've always wanted a 3D Zelda with this Link, though.
  • edited April 2013
    I'm loving the look so far, though I will admit to being slightly disappointed in the fact that it's a top-down perspective.
  • edited April 2013
    251939-header.jpg

    EDIT: Also, HEEEEEERE'S REGGIE!
  • edited April 2013
    Not gonna lie. First glance, I thought this said "Adolf Fan Thread" and I was like "Hitler was in Zelda?"
  • edited April 2013
    Honestly, it's a bit hard to say. Maybe it's because I kept the GBA version in my pocket through a good chunk of high school and played it so much I got burned out on it. Maybe it's because I do my sprite work Oracle-style, and the huge number of ALttP-style spriters kind of annoys me.
    What makes you say GameBoy Color-style artwork is preferable to than SNES-style artwork?

    Maybe it's because A Link to the Past laid down the foundations for a lot of elements used in the other top-down games in the series, but didn't quite have them as fully developed in my eyes (though I may be full of shit on this point).
    Less developed in what way?
    But at least part of it is definitely that I don't really like the dungeon layouts all that much.
    Again, for me LTTP was a big step forward (capability-wise) by having large rooms, as the dungeons in The Legend of Zelda for NES are one room per screen. Not that that's a bad thing. It just is.
  • edited April 2013
    Chyron8472 wrote: »
    What makes you say GameBoy Color-style artwork is preferable to than SNES-style artwork?

    I'm on my way out the door here, so this is the only one I really have time to answer. I'll think on the others.

    It's not so much that the GBC graphics are preferable (other than that they require less shading to emulate them, which makes them doable for me), it's just that A Link to the Past is the art style that just about every Zelda-style sprite artist out there copies. You don't even see much Minish Cap art, just A Link to the Past. It gets old after a while.
  • edited April 2013
    Im so happy... Im really glad to see some Zelda top-down perspective love.... Then there is the Wind Waker hidef game ... I'm so happy I could punch a clown.
  • edited April 2013
    Oh, I am DEFO going to get LTTP2, that and the Wind Waker remake that are both coming out this year. ^_^
  • edited April 2013
    From the depths of hell I summon thee!

    177785.gif?v=1
  • edited April 2013
    DAISHI wrote: »
    From the depths of hell I summon thee!

    177785.gif?v=1

    New entry in this series plz
  • edited April 2013
    Glad to be done with this one!

    kakariko_graveyard_by_guruguru214-d62au6a.png
  • edited May 2013
    I'm sure most people guessed this, but the new Link tot he Past game will feature a light/dark world.

    Also, the whole 'wall painting' thing was inspired by Phantom Ganon doing it in Ocarina of Time.

    1297207367-the_more_you_know2.jpg
  • edited May 2013
    Spent the last week busting my ass on these. In the process, I really learned a lot about how Oracle walls work.

    death_mountain_trail__past__by_guruguru214-d65476m.png death_mountain_trail__future__by_guruguru214-d65479z.png
  • edited May 2013
    Nice work as always.
  • edited June 2013
    Not gonna lie here, I barely have played any Zelda. I played Twlight Princess, Majora's Mask and a little bit of OoT. But today i got Zelda OoT 3D pre-owned for £20 and I'm having a good time so far :)
  • edited June 2013
    Not a bad price I don't think. Great game.

    So looking forward to A Link Between Worlds.
  • edited July 2013
    Wow, one the one hand, this is very pretty, and I really want it. On the other, those are totally not the six games I would've wanted guides for in a set like this.

    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0804161380/15-24-20
  • edited July 2013
    3 of the six are main series entries, and one of the six is a remake of a main series game. So, you know, something. I mean, at least one of them isn't Link's Crossbow Training.
  • edited July 2013
    Yeah, but I would've rather seen one for Majora's Mask or even A Link to the Past instead of Phantom Hourglass or Spirit Tracks. But really, I'm surprised they included one as old as The Wind Waker. I know the HD version is coming out soon, but that's going to be a brand new guide.
  • edited July 2013
    ...I was kinda wanting one of those for Ocarina of Time 3D since my old one is starting to fall apart.
  • edited July 2013
    Wow, one the one hand, this is very pretty, and I really want it. On the other, those are totally not the six games I would've wanted guides for in a set like this.

    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0804161380/15-24-20

    Meh. It's only a collection of their old limited edition guides. And it costs way too much for how old these are by now. Or not enough.
  • edited July 2013
    Yeah, $150 is a way steep for the set. You could buy yourself a Vita or a really good graphics card or be well on your way to a Wii U, or buy like 50 games from Steam. :P
Sign in to comment in this discussion.