User Avatar Image

Could not initialize direct3D and error message

posted by samwize on - last edited - Viewed by 19.1K users
Hi,

i brought cultureshock a few days ago by downloading the demo and unlocking the full game, but when i go on launch game it comes up with an error message saying 'ithis program has caused an error in USER.EXE. or KERNL.EXE.' Then after doing this it says it could not initialise direct3D but i have installed directX and Nvidia. Please could you help me i've waited a decade to play this game.

p.s. i have windowsME not XP
115 Comments - Linear Discussion: Classic Style
  • Hmm, if that happens again, you might have larger issues. I would suggest being on the safe side and running some antivirus software.
  • So long as it is up to date, that would work.
  • cool,i'm using the one that came with my computer.
  • Yes, it's up to date and it said there were no viruses and it still won't work
  • should I try another scan or what should I do?
  • maybe i could put direct3d manually where the game looks for it. does anyone know where it looks fo it?
  • Wait, the above install error was a n internal system error, not a fatal one. Does that change anything?
    Sorry about all of the posts, I'm just really worried. give me all the things i could try
  • LordErok;97254 said:
    Wait, the above install error was a n internal system error, not a fatal one. Does that change anything?
    Sorry about all of the posts, I'm just really worried. give me all the things i could try
    Internal errors are usually bad, it's a way of saying 'something unexpected went wrong somewhere'. Internal errors usually ARE fatal btw :)

DirectX lives on top of your drivers (which live on top of your video hardware basically), so if directX fails to even install I would suspect the drivers. Re-installing those might help, link posted a couple of messages back.
  • fpostma;97261 said:
    Internal errors are usually bad, it's a way of saying 'something unexpected went wrong somewhere'. Internal errors usually ARE fatal btw :)

DirectX lives on top of your drivers (which live on top of your video hardware basically), so if directX fails to even install I would suspect the drivers. Re-installing those might help, link posted a couple of messages back.
    I reinstalled the drivers and no dice Now what?
This discussion has been closed.